Why learn Spanish?
More and more people are interested in learning Spanish and it's easy enough to see why. Spanish has as many as 400 million speakers worldwide, making it one of the biggest and most important languages across the globe. Here are some more facts:
- Did you know that approximately 17.5 million people (10% of the US population) speak Spanish in the US?. By the year 2020, it is predicted that 51 million people will speak Spanish in the US, including many more in the Northwest. The 4th largest Spanish-speaking city in the world is Los Angeles.
- Employers are seeking applicants in nearly every profession who can speak Spanish. Including medical, sales, legal, fire, police, education, etc.
- Want to access some of the world's foremost film and literature? Some of the world's greatest literary works are in Spanish. Spanish language films are increasingly popular and receive praise from critics.
- Spanish is one of the easiest of the major languages to learn for English speakers. Spanish has an alphabet that is easy to pronounce and consistent grammar rules. Many words are identical or very similar to their English equivalents.
- Famous Spanish speakers.
- Che Guevara
- Pablo Picasso (above photo)
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- Miguel de Cervantes
- Enrique Iglesias
- Cristina Aguilera
- Luis Miguel (right photo)
- Antonio Banderas (right photo)
- Fernando Alonso, etc...
List of Countries and Their Spanish Speaking Population
|COUNTRY||SPANISH SPEAKING POPULATION|
|12. REPUBLICA DOMINICANA||7,300,000|
|14. EL SALVADOR||5,200,000|
|17. PUERTO RICO||3,500,000|
|19. COSTA RICA||3,100,000|
|23. GUINEA ECUATORIAL||300,000|