Spanish for the Legal Profession Course
This course responds to the demands for specific language training in the professional field, and it is part of the training offer categorised as Spanish for Specific Purposes (SSP).
The course will enable participants to understand legal texts and arguments, to draw up documents and to correctly express themselves using legal vocabulary. In addition, they will get to know the Spanish Legal System and the institutions it is made up of. Taking this into account, the course will be of special interest and value for non Spanish speaking Law professionals who are carrying out or who want to carry out their professional activity in Spain or whose clients require a deep knowledge of the Spanish lexicon, grammatical constructions and legal system.
This course is coordinated and taught by lawyers from the Ilustre Colegio de Abogados de Málaga (Malaga’s Bar Association) with ample experience in the teaching of Spanish as a foreign language.
The Spanish for the Legal Profession Course offers to the participating students the opportunity to attend external training sessions and visits (not mandatory) in institutions and organizations related to the course content.
The students enrolled for this course, which are interested in participating to the above mentioned sessions and visits, should express their interest in attending them at the same moment of their enrollment, through an e-mail addressed to the Administration Department of Cervantes Escuela Internacional (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The attendance to these training sessions and visits will entitle the students to obtain a certificate in which there will be detailed the title of each of the sessions, and also, the number of these sessions will be included in the total duration of the course.
The non attendance to these training sessions and visits will represent no obligation for Cervantes Escuela Internacional to reduce the price of the course or to replace the number of these training sessions with other courses offered by Cervantes Escuela Internacional.
- Levels: B2, C1 and C2
- Maximum number of students per class of Spanish for the Legal Profession: 6
- Course programme for 1 week (Monday to Friday):
15:45h-19:00h: 20 training sessions on Spanish for the Legal Profession
Mornings: 5 practical sessions (activities and visits related to the course)
Total lessons of 45 minutes: 25
- Course programme for 2 weeks (Monday to Friday):
15:45h-19:00h: 40 training sessions on Spanish for the Legal Profession
Mornings: 10 practical sessions (activities and visits related to the course)
Total lessons of 45 minutes: 50
NB. The course will be suspended two months prior to its starting date if there is no minimum number of three students.
Read more about our Spanish for the Legal Profession course
This course is directed to Law professionals in general and, more specifically to lawyers, civil servants and translators, as well as Law students in their final years.
According to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, this course is aimed at students with levels B2, C1 and C2.
The main objective of the course is to enable students to:
- Understand legal texts, considering these to be not only laws and sentences, but also all kinds of documents and even specialist press articles.
- Draw up documents with a correct use of lexicon and verbal tenses
- Understand dialogues, dramatisations and oral arguments
- Express themselves orally using specific vocabulary through debates, case studies and oral presentations
But, in addition to the purely linguistic knowledge the Spanish for the Legal Profession Course aims to introduce students to other aspects equally or even more important:
- The Spanish Legal System, introducing the student to the different branches of Law.
- The Institutions and Organisms, presenting to students their structures and operations.
- The cultural component of Law in Spain and the particular views of the average Spaniard on the world of Law.
- The contrast between the formal and informal registers, paying special attention to Forensic Oratory and written expression.
- Introduction to the Spanish Legal System.
- The professional practice of Law in Spain.
- The sources of law: law, custom and general principles of law.
- The Spanish Constitution of 1978.
- The Spanish Civil Code.
- Contracts and obligations: Purchase Agreement.
- Family and Inheritance Law.
- The Spanish Penal Code.
- Criminal Categories.
- The structure of Courts in Spain.
- Introduction to Civil and Penal processes.
- The Commercial Code.
- The Employer.
- Types of Mercantile Societies.
- Introduction to the Spanish Tax System.
- Taxes and Special Contributions.
- Types of taxes in Spain.
- Administrative Procedure Law. Administrative Appeal Courts Law.
- Introduction to Labour Law in Spain.
- The Statute of Worker’s Rights.
- Types of Work Contracts.
- Trade Unions. Collective Labour Agreements.
Cervantes Escuela Internacional’s Director.
José María Alonso Martín, Lawyer and Coordinator of Cervantes E.I.’s Spanish for the Legal Profession Course.
A practical-theoretical methodology is followed. Each one of the modules is composed of the following elements:
- Evaluation Test.
- Final Task.
Using the listenings or videos, the theory presentations and the readings, participants will carry out different activities such as working on a case study, drawing up different types of documents and legal texts, preparing oral presentations, etc.
Attendance is obligatory and non justified absences cannot exceed 15% of the total duration of the course under any circumstances.
Only those participants who have fulfilled this attendance requirement will receive the certificate issued by Cervantes E.I.
|1 week||2 weeks|
|625 €||1250 €|
- 6th Mar; 3th Jul
Note: Applications for this course should be made at least one month before the desired starting date.
Maryse Ali, France
Spanish for the Legal Profession Course, 2 weeks, 28/02-15/03/2015
"The legal course of Cervantes International School exceeded my expectations. Although the course only lasted two weeks I can say I have a solid foundation on the Spanish legal system and that my Spanish improved. The classes are given by a lawyer and professional, friendly and very knowledgeable linguist. Besides practical activities were tailored to my interests."
Maria Emanuela Boccafoschi, Italy
Spanish for the Legal Profession Course, 2 weeks, 29/07-09/08/2013
"The Spanish for the Legal Profession Course is very interesting, well organized and gives a very good overview of Spanish law. It also serves as a very good exercise for improving the language.
The school is welcoming and the organization impeccable. They offer a variety of interesting courses and activities.
My experience with the family was better than I had expected before I came and I strongly recommend staying with a host Spanish family.
Malaga is a very welcoming city, public transport is very well organized and I have many good memories of my stay."